Monday, August 1, 2011

Garden Update 2

Here are the newest photos of my garden. These tomatoes have turned into a jungle. I am learning alot from this new garden adventure. Next year, they will be spaced further apart and I will make sure to cut them back earlier, so they don't get out of hand. They have lots of little green fruit that I am just waiting to ripen.

This lettuce grew really well and tasted great for the first month, but now it is very bitter. Anyone know why this happens? I would love to prevent this in the future.



I love Zucchini, so I am super happy to have my two plants growing so well. I have already picked a few and have more that will be ready in the next few days. I plan to try making zucchini bread for the first time this week.





These bush beans were a surprise to me. I had no idea what to expect, but my five little bean plants have us eating all kinds of fresh beans. Like most vegetables, they are much tastier fresh from the garden.


Here is my watermelon plant and cantelope plants. They are growing like weeds and have small little fruits starting. They take up an entire garden box at this point and I can't keep them from crawling out.


My corn is also shoulder high and growing more everyday. I also have some little things like carrots and parsnips that I am waiting to see how they do.


I have also had some pests entering my garden. My broccoli was badly damaged by some sort of pest. I am still not sure what it was (still learning.) Whatever it was, was leaving little green eggs on the leaves and eating holes in my plant, so I sprayed it with a little soapy water and scraped the eggs off of every leaf. It was a bit time consuming, but they seem to be gone now.


In my strawberries, I have something eating holes in the ripe ones before I can pick them. I am going to try to put out some yeast jars and see if this gets rid of my pest. I'll let you know how it works.


This garden has been so much fun for me. It has been a great learning experience and I have gotten to eat some wonderful veggies already. I can't wait to see what happens next









No comments:

Post a Comment