Thursday, June 9, 2011

Gardening

I've been wanting to show off all my yard work for awhile. The girls decided they wanted to be in the pictures, too! This photo is of our new blueberry plants. I've been told they are hard to grow in our Moses Lake soil, so I am crossing my fingers. I would love to have fresh blueberries!





This photo is of the area I planted Asparagus. We love Asparagus! I planted 5 plants, but they are a two year plant, so I won't have any until then. But they are perennial, so I should have plenty for many years afterward, if they grow!







This is one of the girls favorite plants. This is our strawberry patch. We planted it in the fall and have already had a couple strawberries. The girls like to pick them green, though, so we may not have many this year!






This is one of 8 tomato plants I've put in the yard and garden. I have never grown tomatoes before and all of these were started from seed. I know 8 is a lot and if they all make it, I will be swimming in tomatoes, but like I said, it's my first time and I am not sure how they will do. Don't worry, if I get to many, I will share!







This is the garlic I planted in the fall. It is so easy to grow! I had no idea. I planted two cloves worth and all of it came up this spring. I should end up with about 20 cloves, when I harvest.








These are the raspberries we planted this spring. We put 4 or 5 in the ground and they are already spreading like crazy. We plan to expand the area next year when we have to cut them back.






Those are just the plants around the house. We also put together 4 garden boxes this spring. Each one is 8' by 4'. I chose to have 4, so that I can rotate my crops each year. We then took out the grass and put down some rock (with the wonderful help of family members) to make it easier to work around the garden beds.






This first garden box Alicia is in front of, has bush beans, snap peas, watermelon and canteloupe.






This garden box has marigolds, pumpkins, zuchini, and corn.






Emma is standing here beside her raddishes. We don't eat raddishes and I wasn't even planning to have them in the garden, but after reading a book about different vegetables with Emma, she insisted on the raddishes. I gave in and paid 20 cents for a seed packet. They are the best growing plant in our garden. I guess we will just have to find a way to eat them.






Besides raddishes, this garden also has, beets, carrots, dill, chives, parsnips and lettuce.





This is the final garden bed and carries 6 of my tomato plants, spinach, basil, cilantro, and broccoli.




(Another view of my little tomato plants.)








I've been planning my garden for a long time and now it is finally all planted. I know I've planted a variety of items and for many vegetables, this is my first time growing them. I am far from and expert and I am learning as I go. Everything I've planted has come up, so my hope is to spend the summer watering, weeding and harvesting whatever chooses to grow. I'll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment